The Devon Masonic Golf Association Summer Meeting was held on Thursday 25th August 2016 at Stover Golf Club, Newton Abbot. 36 Brethren in total from the North, East, South and West of our Province enjoyed a days golf with a 2 course meal and prize presentation all in aid of Charity.
The format for the day was a 4 ball better ball with ¾ handicap (Playing as Pairs). The changeable summer weather was kind on the golfers during play, making it a great day for all who took part. Word spread quickly around the course when W.Bro. John Smerdon, PAGDC a member of The Old Plymothian & Mannameadian Lodge No. 6279 partnered with W.Bro. Bill Daw PGJD shot A HOLE IN ONE!! on the 2nd hole Par3. This golfing achievement for W.Bro. John Smerdon was the first since playing. Twice a year on the 4th Thursday of May and August Masons from all over the Province of Devonshire are invited to play for the Vale of Haldon Bowl and Nigel Adkins Shield (Runner up) along with cheques made payable to their Lodges for Charity of their choosing. There is also Charity cheques for 2nd / 3rd & 4th places. In total charity cheques to the value of £340.00 were presented to the winners. Over the last year the two meetings of the Golf Association has raised and given £540.00 to charity.
This year’s Summer Meeting Winners were:
- 1st Prize – Vale of Haldon Bowl (41 points) – Presented by W.Bro. Peter Haige, Past Asst PGM, President of the Golf Association.
W.Bro. Nigel Potts, Vale of Haldon Lodge No. 7949 & W.Bro. Paul Cayless, The Newton Lodge No. 6129.
- Runner Up – Nigel Adkins Shield (40 points)
W.Bro John Davey, Sir John Hawkins Lodge No. 3704 / W.Bro John Pritchard, The Lord Roborough Lodge No. 5789
- 2nd Place (39 points) – W.Bro. Jim Milks, Jordan Lodge No. 1402 & Alan Seager, De-La-Pole 1181
- 3rd Place (39 points / B9 countback) – W.Bro. David Purdie, Miles Coverdale No. 5069 & Simon Wills, The Lodge Concordia No. 3102.
- 4th Place (39 points) – W.Bro. Allan Seager, DeLa Pole No. 1181 & Ken Todd Louis Marchesi Lodge No. 9558
Before presenting the prizes W.Bro Peter Haige, President of the Association thanked everyone who put the day together especially W.Bro. Allan Seager , Secretary and W.Bro Dennis Langmead who acted as recorder and checked all the returning score cards. Why not come and join us in May 2017, full details regarding the Devon Masonic Golf Association can be found in the Devonshire Yearbook.
Click here to see more pictures