Right Worshipful Brother William Alexander Kneel, the Provincial Grand Master of the Devon Freemasons from 1970 until 1984, conceived the idea of a charitable fund with the aim of making annual disbursements to local charities and organisations in need of assistance. Right Worshipful Brother Robin Osborn, the Provincial Grand Master from 1999 until 2007, appealed to the brethren in 1999 to build up the fund to £1million; it now stands at about £2 million in value from which the trustees distribute the income generated, each year approximately £50,000 + is distributed amongst local charities and organisations in Devon.
The programme commenced in 2001 and since that date over £690,000 has been given by The Devon Freemasons WAKE Fund to worthy causes within the Province. Approximately 790 worthy causes, charities and organisations have benefited since it started. There are two disbursements one in the spring and one in the autumn — where representatives of the charities are invited to meet Freemasons and enjoy a buffet supper.
As part of an annual programme of charitable giving, The WAKE Fund has again distributed another £25,000 to 23 local charities and worthy causes. The donations were presented by the Provincial Grand Master of Devonshire, Right Worshipful Brother Ian Kingsbury JP, at the Mount Edgcumbe Masonic Hall Plymouth on Friday 31st May 2019.
Our thanks go to The Western District United Service Lodge No 2258 for their hospitality, The Masonic Hall Committee, the Catering team Roger and Barbara and all who assisted in putting the event together.
Whilst the individual sums may seem modest each donation is meaningful and appreciated by the charity or local organisation concerned. The Provincial Grand Charity Steward, W.Bro Reuben Ayres opened the event welcoming all those present to the Spring WAKE distribution 2018. Over 100 in attendance included the PGM, RW Bro. Ian Kingsbury JP; The DPGM, VW. Bro Nicholas Ball and W.Bro. Charlie Yelland APGM along with W.Bro Anthony Eldred, Prov JGW. The Provincial Grand Master, Right Worshipful Brother Ian Kingsbury JP also extended a warm welcome to all the charities and Lodge representatives. He then introduced his executive and explained the origins and objectives of the WAKE Fund as well as informing the guests about Freemasonry and our openness to this order. He also introduced and thanked the WAKE team, W.Bro’s Michael Walker; Frank Hanscombe, W.Bro. Martin Elliott, Treasurer; W.Bro. Clive Eden, Press Officer and W.Bro. John Smerdon for the Photography as well The Western District United service Lodge No 2258 for their hospitality and the Caterers, Roger and Barbara for the buffet and all others who assisted in putting the event together.
Cheques totalling £25,000 were presented to each of the 23 representatives in the name of the sponsoring Lodges. A photo was taken by W.Bro John Smerdon and a short speech was given by each of the Charities with an explanation of the work done or achieved by them. After the presentations of cheques and a group photo was taken, the guests left the Temple and enjoyed the superb buffet in the Refectory. A guided tour was also available to anyone wishing to look and ask any questions in respect to the Lodge Room.
After the presentations of cheques and a group photo was taken, the guests left the Temple and enjoyed the superb buffet in the Refectory. A guided tour was also available to anyone wishing to look and ask any questions in respect to the Lodge Room.
To see Charity details and all pictures taken on the day visit - https://photos.app.goo.gl/s885sdQmpJDcPeZVA
Article & Pictures by W.Bro. John Smerdon PAGDC.
Details of Charity and representing Lodges:
1) - Parkinson Plymouth - Sponsored by The Tamar Lodge No.4239
2) - Friends of St James Church, Swimbridge - Sponsored by Loyal Lodge of Industry No.421
3) - The Friends of Exeter Cathedral - Sponsored by Lodge of Union No.444
4) - H.C.P.T - Sponsored by Miles Coverdale Lodge No.5069
5) - Samms - Sponsored by Pliades Lodge No.710
6) - Guide Dogs, Plymouth & District - Sponsored by Sir John Hawkins Lodge No.3704
7) - Bishop Tawton Plying Field Fund - Sponsored by The Lodge of Good Intention No.6927
8) - PHAB - Torquay - Sponsored by Petitor Lodge No.8234
9) - Exmouth In Bloom - Sponsored by Sun Lodge No.106
10) - Friends of Woodland School - Sponsored by The Lodg of Fidelity No.230
11) - Ayrton's Dream - Sponsored by The Unity Lodge No.1332
12) - Citizens Advice Teignbridge - Sponsored by The Newton Lodge No.6129
13) - 2nd Plymstock & 3rd Plymouth Scout Group - Sponsored by The Pelican Lodge No.7878
14) - Trevi House Rehab Unit Plymouth - Sponsored by The Old Plymothian & Mannameadian Lodge No. 6279
15) - A.I.M.S. Dawlish - Sponsored by St Michael's Lodge No. 8186
16) - Gateway - Homeless Action Group - Sponsored by Lodge of Perseverance No.164
17) - Devon Lupas Group - Sponsored by The Excester Lodge No. 6228
18) - Axminster Medical Group - Sponsored by Lodge of Virtue and Honor No. 494
19) - Exmouth Sea Scouts - Sponsored by The Rolle Lodge No.2759
20) - Hospital Radio Plymouth - Sponsored by The Lord Roborough Lodge No.5789
21) - Families for Children - Sponsored by The Ashburton Lodge No.2189
22) - Hospicare, Searle House, Exeter - Sponsored by The Lodge of Friendship No.202
23) - ATC Squadron 2171 - Sponsored by The Western District United Service Lodge No. 2258